Sunday, July 10, 2005

      Steve Jobs: "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish"

I read one article in the Sunday Times today, titled "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish". It's a verbatim of Steve Job's speech at Stanford's 114th Commencement. Truly an inspiring and stirring article, citing some of the watersheds and pivotal moments in this great man's life.

Surprisingly, Steve is another one of those great achiever who did not even finish college. He dropped out at a young age, to focus on calligraphy that was seemingly impractical then; yet ironically, this contributed largely to the success of Macintosh as the first computer with beautiful typography 10 years later.

As I had stated in a previous article, every watershed and momentous decision is never without its element of uncertainty and fear. There will be doubt as to the "correctness" of the judgment; I remember my decision to leave the military a year back. I guess that will definitely be one of my pivotal moments of my life. Leaving behind a stable and relatively well paying job as an SAF Officer, I plunged into the unknown, with a major salary cut. Is it for the better? Well I believe that the answer is actually is in our hands, that the answer is ours to create. To make it or break it, it is manifestation of our efforts following the decision. Well, I'm still working on it. haha...

As so aptly highlighted by Steve in the same speech, the love for work is one of the utmost influential factors behind his success. The efforts required cannot come about without the firm belief, the love and passion for the work. Looking around, the many people I see lamenting about their jobs; many in fact, have no idea about what they want to do. Yes, bringing the bread home at the end of the month is important, but it's not everything. It's sad that there are so many aimless souls wandering about, not knowing where to head.

It is important that we find the destination. Find it, find that destination, call it a vision, a goal, mandate, whatever; and then journey towards it; along the way, as Steve Jobs had put it, "stay hungry, stay foolish".



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home